Polenta and Ricotta Cake with Red Wine Peaches
- 6 large peaches - yellow, white or both
- 8 cloves
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cups of Primo Estate Merlesco Merlot
- 1 cinnamon Stick
- 120 g honey
- 150 g softened butter & extra for greasing
- 1 finely grated rind of one lemon
- 6 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 400 g ricotta
- 200 g almond meal
- 180 g fine polenta
- 110 g caster sugar
Red Wine Peaches
The peaches need to be marinated for 12+ hours, so it's best to begin them the day before baking.
- Cut the peaches into thick wedges and place into a large bowl. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and 'Merlesco' Merlot, and carefully mix making sure each slice is coated.
- Cover the bowl and leave to sit in the fridge for 12+ hours overnight.
Ricotta & Polenta Cake
- Preheat oven to 150°C and butter the base of a 26cm diameter cake tin and line it with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, honey and lemon rind in an electric mixer until light and fluffy (4-5 minutes).
- Scrape down the sides of the mixture bowl and then add yolks one at a time, beating well between additions.
- Transfer the mixture to a larger bowl, fold in ricotta, then almond meal, polenta and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer to soft peaks, then gradually whisk in 110gm sugar and whisk until glossy (1-2 minutes).
- Fold the eggwhite mix into the ricotta mixture and then spoon the combined batter into the cake tin. Make sure to smooth the top.
- Bake until golden and a skewer withdraws clean (45-50 minutes). Remove from oven and pierce all over with a skewer.
Serve warm with plenty of red wine peaches, a dollop of marscapone and chilled glass of the JOSEPH La Magia. Make sure to drizzle the peach syrup all over the cake as a final touch!