Singapore Chilli Crab
26 March 2013
- 4 tbsps vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 fresh crabs, about 250g each, halved and cleaned
- 2 tbsps sesame oil
- 2 tbsps chilli sauce
- 3 tbsps tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (light)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock or water (I use vegetable stock)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced and fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, finely chopped, to garnish
- For the spice paste:
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 25g fresh root ginger, chopped
- 4 red chillies, seeded and chopped (if you like it hot, use bird eye chillies)
- Using a food processor, grind the spice ingredients into a paste; set aside
- Heat the oil for -frying in a wok or heavy pan until very hot. Drop in the crabs and fry until the shells turn bright red. Remove from the oil and drain.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok and stir in the spice paste. Fry the paste until fragrant then stir in the chilli sauce, ketchup, soy sauce and sugar.
- Toss in the fried crab and coat well in the sauce. Pour in the stock or water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5minutes. Season the sauce to taste.
- Pour in the eggs, stirring gently, to let them set in the sauce.
- Serve immediately, garnished with spring onions and coriander.
The Primo Team