Rosemary & Olive Oil Cake ✨
Have you tried baking with olive oil?
We love using olive oil instead of butter where possible. It's healthier, adds more flavour, and stops cakes from going dry.
The key to this recipe is our freshly pressed 2023 JOSEPH First Run.
The new oil adds fruit, fragrance and spice to this zesty Winter cake.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat your oven to 175°C. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chopped rosemary. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and granulated sugar together until pale and fluffy.
4. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to beat the mixture. Mix until well combined.
5. Add the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and lemon zest to the wet mixture. Mix until smooth.
6. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, stirring until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top.
8. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
10. Once the cake has cooled, dust it with powdered sugar and garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary before serving.
Serve with hot coffee and a glass of The Fronti Fortified. Perfect for dunking!